What Kind of Traveler Are YOU?
When you travel are you a foodie
, an adventure traveler
, a family traveler
or are you looking for that perfect romantic
getaway? Or is your travel a little bit of each? At the Olympic Peninsula Tourism Summit this fall, we asked local tourism industry experts to help put together a list of hidden gems that these types of travelers to the Olympic Peninsula shouldn’t miss. We have some ideas for each of these types of unique travelers and have a Winter Weekend Itinerary
FIRST, who are you?
Here’s a list of characteristics of four different types of travelers:
Do you travel to eat and take in all the culinary delights a region has to offer? Seek out restaurants specializing in “farm to fork” cuisine? Tour the local wineries, cideries and distilleries? Visit local farms, shellfish growers, and farmers markets? You might be a Foodie Traveler. Do you…
- ... search Yelp or TripAdvisor for restaurants with high reviews and read all the restaurant ads in magazines before planning your next travel destination?
- ...have friends who tell you about a chef in an area that prepares amazing local, sustainable food and you start researching how to get there ASAP?
- ...watch TV shows that are on the Food Network and the Cooking Channel?
You could start planning your trip by looking at the Olympic Peninsula Culinary Loop’s map. It’s got yummy places to eat and where experience the local delights
Foodie Traveler Itinerary #214 is for a hybrid traveler, which we assume most people are, a Romantic/Foodie might want to take advantage of the Olympic Peninsula Winery Tour in February. It's the Red Wine and Chocolate Tour. We wait for this all year!
If this is you, you just want to be outside, no matter the weather. You look for exciting, challenging things like surfing, backpacking, mountain climbing, kayaking, cycling, fishing, sailing, or hiking. For you, it’s all about the experience and the challenge, plus getting back to nature with the thrill of excitement. This character might be about to embark on a hike in Olympic National Park or surf for the first time on the coast.
You might be an Adventure Traveler
- …Washington Trail Association’s website is set as a browser favorite.
- …the trunk of your car is a storage unit for at-the-ready adventures; a sleeping pad, dusty hiking boots, snow shoes, extra socks, bug spray, a carabineer.
- …you are blown away by Ed Viesters and like each and every one of his Facebook posts.
- … you love dirt and you tear up a little removing your bike rack at the end of the riding season
Check out Adventure Traveler Itinerary #101 for a great winter three-day escape to the Olympic Peninsula. Some biking, running, snow play and kayaking!
Are you all about doing things as a family, teaching the kids about the cool stuff there is to see and do on the Olympic Peninsula? Winter activities could include attending museums, going to some of the aquariums and science centers. You might be a Family Traveler
- …you plan based on what and where are we going to find something to do for everyone.
- …your activities include touching, tugging, digging and discovering (running up, down and all around while discovering awesome stuff)
- …you want to avoid driving endless hours and plan ahead for stop-offs every 60-90
- … you are driven to make meaningful memories where coming away with some sand or dirt between our fingers and toes
Families are looking for inspiring ideas for things to do together over a couple days on the Olympic Peninsula should check the list of Free Things to Do on the Family Travel Itinerary #101 to figure out what suits you. Fourth graders are part of a project called "Every Kid in a Park" and can get a free Annual Pass to all of America's 58 National Parks! (https://www.everykidinapark.gov/)
Romantic Getaway Traveler.
Just want to take off with your sweetie? Just the two of you? Rekindle something or nurture a new relationship? Leave stress and your hectic life with kids or crazy schedules behind. Look for romantic dinners, cozy places to stay, spots where you can be alone. You might be a Romantic Traveler
- …you seek out locations that will provide privacy
- …you travel to make memories and plan trips that provide stress-free ease of travel
- …you appreciate the journey as much as the destination
- …you will make dining choices on atmosphere as much as on the food
Check out Inns of Excellence
for B&B ideas for the romantic getaway you'd like to plan.
Our guess is that you are probably a combination of these travelers, so we hope our itineraries will help give you some suggestions to get away to the Olympic Peninsula over the winter months. Blogs to come with more itinerary details and ideas.